Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Going to Colorado!

Dear Friends,

Two years ago, one of my closest friends was diagnosed with an eating disorder, and it has been a very difficult time for both of us. In order to know how best to help her, I have worked hard to educate myself on a very misunderstood disease. I am now learning how common this disease is even though very few people talk about it.

Eating disorders affect up to 24 million Americans, and 1 in 5 women struggle with eating disorders or disordered eating. Nearly half of all Americans personally know someone with an eating disorder, and 20% of those with eating disorders die prematurely from complications of the disorder. For more information, visit www.eatingdisorderinfo.org.

These statistics apply to those in our churches, and God has been burdening my heart for those who are fighting eating disorders. I know that He wants to use me to help others who are struggling with these issues.

In May, a friend and Navigator's missionary, sent me information about an upcoming national training seminar focusing on this issue: A Christian Approach to Disordered Eating and Body Image Issues. It is being hosted by the Navigators and will be held in two weeks, from July 17-19. It is being presented by Remuda Ranch, one of the top residential counseling facilities in the country that specializes in these issues. I encourage you to visit their website, www.remudaranch.com, to learn more about their program.

This three day seminar will take place at historic Glen Eyrie, a Christian retreat center and home of The Navigators Colorado Springs. I am looking forward to not only learning more how to help people in this area, but also to understand the struggle they are going through and how to help them spiritually. For more information about this seminar, go to their website at www.navigators.org/us/ministries/
gleneyrie/programs/programs/eatingdisorders.

I will be attending the conference with Katrina. The Navigators leadership team here in Detroit has encouraged us to attend. I am very excited to attend this seminar; however, I need your help. It will cost $575 to attend the seminar. That includes airfare, rental car, meals, housing, and seminar fees.

Would you be willing to give a gift to help send me to this training seminar? If 6-8 friends would give $50-$75 each, and another 2-3 friends give $100-$125 each, my costs would be covered. As the Lord leads, would you make your check payable to The Navigators and send it to me in the enclosed envelope? I will be sure your gift is sent to the right account and that you receive a tax-deductible receipt from The Navigators.

Thank you so much for your prayers and any financial support you may give. I am very excited to see how God will use this seminar to equip me to minister to many who are hungry for hope!

Sincerely,

Rebekah

3 comments:

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

I do hope you get to go. I have some friends from college that live in and near Colorado Springs. If you'd like, I can ask them if they'd house you while you're visiting. Just let me know...
Sarah, Chris and Bekah are flying into Denver on the 21st. I'm assuming you'll be flying home before then...but if you're still in CO you'll have to see them.

Sarah Kuhner said...

It is wonderful that you are taking such an interest to help those with eating disorders. It is a serious disease and needs people to understand it and to help them. It would be really cool if we could see you but not sure if it would work out. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking an interest in my disease. I truly appreciate it and can't express what it means to me! I pray you receive all the support needed for this conference!