As most of you probably know, it's been an intense week for us. On Christmas day, Mark's grandmother in Iowa passed away after being sick for quite a while. Hospice had been called in, so while it was not unexpected, it was still a bit of a shock. Mark flew out for the funeral the next day.
On Saturday, our baby girl, Michelle Monae was born. My mom and I spent the day at the hospital with her birthmother waiting for her to be born. We stayed around long enough afterwards for her to be transfered from the NICU to the regular nursery and then made the long trek home.I spent a good bit of time Sunday and Monday in the hospital with Michelle and her birthmother.
On Monday, the birthmother and I signed paperwork, and I brought her home. If was very difficult to walk out of the hospital room with Michelle, leaving the bithmother there with empty arms. Mark arrived home a few hours after we got back to my parents' house (where Steven and I were staying while Mark was gone). Unfortunately, Mark came home sick, and I had felt something coming on that morning.
Yesterday (Tuesday), Mark and I went up to the adoption agency for him to sign the paperwork. On the way there, we decided to rename our baby Michelle Monae (instead of Abigail Monae). (That's another story, but we chose to do that in honor of her birthmother). Later in the day Mark's family stopped by for a few hours on their way home from the funeral, and his mother stayed here with the intention of going home on Sunday with Lauren's fiance.
Around 5:30 this morning, we received the call that Mark's grandfather in Canada passed away. This was completely unexpected, and with it coming so soon after Mark's grandmother, it has been a hard day for his entire family. Mark's mom is flying home this evening (she doesn't have her passport with her to fly straight to Nova Scotia), and Mark is flying out for the funeral later this week. At this point, it looks like I'll be staying here with the babies. Michelle isn't allowed to leave the state, so taking her out of the country is definitely out of the question. The funeral day hasn't been set, but once it is, we'll know more.
We appreciate your prayers as we are working through all these different adjustments (while sick no less!). I'll be sure to keep you updated.
**Check out the pictures posted below!**