Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Back from Iowa

This weekend Mark, Steven, and I went to Iowa to visit Mark's grandparents. We also picked up Mark's brother in Indiana on the way. It was a long drive, but it definitely helped to have Andy in the backseat to keep Steven entertained! It was nice to spend the time with Mark's grandparents. We hadn't been out there in over a year, and they aren't able to travel anymore. They loved Steven (of course!) and were able to spend a lot of time with him.

The one thing we didn't really think about ahead of time was how much longer the trip would take with Steven. It wasn't horrible on the way out, although when we picked up Andy, Steven needed to be fed and changed. The way home was a bit different.

After church, we all went to Perkins for lunch. We planned on leaving straight from there, so we drove separately from Mark's grandparents. As we were getting ready to leave, I did a quick smell check of Steven, and asked Mark to change him before we left. (I had changed all the dirty diapers that weekend and wanted a break!) He didn't want to, so I just did it. I woke Steven up, grabbed a diaper and the wipes container, and headed into the bathroom to change him.

When I pulled down his pants, I realized that it would take a long time to get him cleaned up. To make a long story short, I had to get the diaper bag from Mark, put Steven in the sink (with his shirt, onsie, and diaper on), wash him layer by layer until he was sitting in the sink naked. I wasn't thrilled about that but didn't have any real alternatives. I gave him a quick bath, put on his onsie and socks and then sent him out to Mark for him to finish dressing him because I still had a lot of clean up to do. After getting the changing table taken care of, I scrubbed him clothes in the sink since it would be quite a while before I could wash them.

It ended up taking over half an hour, so we were behind before we had even made it out of town. We didn't make it home until almost 2:00 a.m.! Poor Mark had to go to work this morning, but I lucked out since my parents offered to take Steven for the afternoon so I could get things done. I think it's going to take us a few days to recover from the trip!

1 comment:

stephanie garcia said...

I remember those days!!