Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Adoption and Infertility Resources

Just today I learned of two more friends who have been trying to get pregnant and have not been able to. God keeps bringing more people into my life who are facing the same struggle as Mark and I have been for over five years. This prompted me to write about where we are right now and share some of the resources that have helped me.

Last week when I went to see my doctor and talked to him about adoption. I had talked with him before about fertility treatments and what options I would have since I have a chronic health concern, but this is the first time that I asked him about adoption. He said that I was fine to adopt and that he would fill out the necessary paperwork when we are ready. That was good to hear!

However, we still don't have enough money saved up, not even close. I only teach part time, and that does not pay much at all (even as a college instructor, teaching doesn't pay much). I have applied for a part time job at another college (one that is actually near our house instead of 45 minutes away on a good day!). If I get this job, it would allow us to save the money necessary in the next 1-1 1/2 years.

Regardless, Mark and I know that this situation is in God's hands. While it is hard to not get frustrated, angry, or even jealous at times, we know that He really does know what He is doing in our lives.

Two years ago, when I was going through a very difficult time, I wrote down verses on encouragment and made a scrapbook of them. The two that have really helped me are Isaiah 58:9 and Matthew 11:28.

Isaiah 58:9--Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and He will say: Here am I.

Matthew 11:28--Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

I have this verse on a little picture card that I got from Family Christian several years ago, and it has a picture of a cat just laying there without a care in the world, as relaxed as can be. Yesterday, I found Josie in a similar position. You can't deny that she is as relaxed as a cat can be!


Josie makes it look so easy, but it is a daily struggle for me to go to God and let Him carry all of my burdens. I can't believe I am learning something from my cat!

I want to close by saying thanks to those who have been praying for us and encouraging us. We really appreciate it, and I know that your prayers are what sustain us at times.

Love,

Rebekah

P.S. On the right side of my page, I added a list of links that are worth visiting if you are struggling with infertility, thinking about adoption, or just interested in learning more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bekkah wow! I had no idea you had a blog page! Thank you so much for your encouraging words on my page, that means so much, and I love that verse, thanks so much! I think it's SO exciting that you and Mark are thinking about adoption. I've watched Tv shows about adoption stories and they are all so unique and special in their own way. Anyway, I will be keeping you in my prayers as well :)
-Rachel

VT21 said...

I am thankful for your blog. The verses are what I needed today. My husband and I have been married 8 years and have no kids. Not that we don't want them just that the LORD hasn't provided them yet. I am getting closer to my 30th birthday and I am really struggling with all this today. Thanks for being open and honest it helps others out there.