Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, February 19, 2010

Truly Blessed

I finally got a hold of Auntie E last night after trying for several days (she lost her cell phone). It was the first time we had talked since our visit before Christmas, so it was so good to get caught up on each other's lives. I was able to tel her a million stories about the kids, and she just laughed and laughed. She told me that she knew Michelle would be a "Diva" the moment the ultrasound tech said she was a girl. Michelle's definitely a drama queen with a mind of her own!

I was really excited when she said she was taking a computer class and is working with an advisor at a local college with the hopes of becoming a case worker someday. It is so cool that she's taking steps to better her life instead of just talking about it! Of course, it also helps that the older three kids are in school/preschool.

I was also able to ask her some questions about her/the kids' medical history and allergies. I cannot tell you how blessed we are to have a relationship with her. I can't imagine raising our two kids without them knowing Auntie E and their siblings. Both Auntie E and I have said over and over that we couldn't have asked for a better adoption experience. She knows that she can call me any time and check on the kids. She doesn't have to wonder what happened to them or if they were okay. She has gotten to know us and knows that we are great parents. She knows that she made the best decision possible.

I love that my kids will grow up knowing their birthmother and see how much she loves them. Every adopted child wonders about his/her birthfamily and why they chose adoption. Adopted children can easily both fantasize about what life would have been like if they were in their biological family and question why they were "given away" (which is an awful/incorrect term but one that kids will still think about). I know that Steven and Michelle will still do both of these things, but they will also have the opportunity to see for themselves what she is like and hear her tell them over and over how much she loves them and be able to ask her their questions.

As I've told Auntie E, this is exactly the kind of adoption we prayed for. We are truly blessed.

3 comments:

Pam said...

I'm so thankful for the relationships you all have with each other too! What a blessing.

Unknown said...

This was so wonderful to read. I have often thought that very thing when I think of Steven! How special to know his biological mom. Adopted children always do wonder. He will know the truth. You are giving him an amazing gift by doing this for him! : )

April said...

Hi, I just found your blog. :) You are blessed to be in contact with the kids' birth family. With my semi-open adoptions there are so many questions left unanswered. And those are only mine! I imagine it will only get worse when the kids start asking.